Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hurricane Prep

For some reason I woke up today thinking about hurricane prep. Mainly food. Most of what we eat now is fresh, so I keep less nonperishables. The kind of stuff we'll need in case we lose electricity for a few days.

Eight years ago we were hit with a hurricane and had no electricity for about 4 days. We had food we could have lived on, but not anything we really wanted. We didn't have a car at the time and ended up walking a mile each way to pick up hearty soups, canned pasta dinners, etc. That experience taught us a lot though. For the next few years we made sure we had a "hurricane stash" of food that was not touched until the end of hurricane season unless we lost power. Once we started keeping a good amount of nonperishables all the time, we stopped doing the hurricane stash.

But I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do it again this year. Maybe even come up with some simple meals that I could do that would not need cooking and would be within my meal plan.

Hurricane season starts June 1 but usually doesn't really get going till August. I can pick up the stash a little at a time, every grocery trip grabbing a few things.

So I guess my first task is to start a few lists - snacks, meals, drinks, baby supplies, nonfood, etc. Then I can start getting everything...

No comments:

Post a Comment