Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stevia?

I need to find out if I can add stevia to fruit. I Googled it yesterday and came up with 2 websites about food combining that say yes. I didn't find any that specifically said I couldn't, just the standard "don't eat anything else with fruit." So I don't know...

If I can use stevia with fruit, that opens up a bunch of other options! I'm thinking particularly of frozen fruit smoothies. It's getting harder and harder to find fruit that tastes like it's supposed to. Either it's picked early and the flavor hasn't developed so their taste resembles cardboard (the case with most fresh fruits), or it's very sour (the case with most frozen fruits). I am not going to eat fruit that doesn't taste good! And I get tired of the same old, same old.

If I can add stevia to frozen fruit and make smoothies out of it, that would be great! I love berries, but they're always so sour lately. Fresh, frozen, doesn't matter. And they're so good for you!

I already priced stevia. I can get a small dropper bottle of it for under $4. And with only using a few drops a day, I'm sure it wouldn't be expensive!

Think I need to make a phone call tomorrow and try to find out about this...

3 comments:

  1. Have fun with the Stevia. I tried it several times and hated it. It tastes so fake. I really kept trying, but it just does not sweeten normally. It has this fake taste... sort of like you are trying to mask your food with a sweetener instead of it blending. I had tried because I had read a lot about it being much healthier, etc... but I won't attempt again for sure. Hope it works out better for you than it did me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the Stevia. Glenn tried it in his coffee (not the liquid though) and had a hard time getting the right amount. He's back to dreamer now lol. We got ours at Trader Joes for really cheap, not sure if you have those around you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have Trader Joe's (I wish!) but we do have a nice sized health food store inside a local drug store. They sell a dropper bottle of it for 3something :-) So if I don't like it, I'm not out much money!

    ReplyDelete