Friday, June 4, 2010

The Problem with Organic Produce...

Is that once you've been eating it a while, you smell and taste the chemicals in the nonorganics :-( I love canteloupe! Jesse and Ethan do too. I saw some big, pretty ones at the grocery store yesterday. I can always pick good ones. I do it by smell. But yesterday the ones that had any smell just smelled like chemicals :-(

I'm noticing that happening more and more lately... I don't think the produce has more chemicals than it did a year ago, but I think I'm more sensitive to them. I eat a large salad for lunch nearly every day. Meat plus organic lettuce. I've tried to save money occasionally by buying nonorganic lettuce. But it ends up going to waste because it doesn't taste good to me!

I wish we could afford to eat at least 90% organic. But finances don't allow for that right now :-( So I buy organic for some things - salad greens for sure! I'm tasting the chemicals in nonorganic bananas now too so I guess that's the next thing I'll go organic with. I buy them organic most of the time but I haven't been making an extra stop to get them. Guess I need to now...

That's probably my main complaint about living in the deep south - the lack of availability and variety, and the cost of organic foods...

2 comments:

  1. Organic would be nice to afford... nice that Jesse makes enough money for you to buy the best. I'm just thankful to have food... chemicals or not. At least we are not begging for food. Gotta count my blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend about $4 more a week on organic lettuce and bananas. So not bad. I really wish we could do more organic... I have noticed that we spend less on OTC meds with eating more organic though!

    ReplyDelete