Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Desire Vs Time and Opportunity

I belong to an online Biggest Loser Challenge group. It's not a weight loss challenge but a points challenge. We get points for eating healthy, drinking water, exercising, checking in with/supporting our teammates etc. Each week we have a mini-challenge. This week as part of the mini-challenge we had to pick a cardio exercise and do it in intervals during the day totaling 10 minutes. To get the points for completing this part of the challenge, I have to do it 5 out of 7 days (Monday thru Sunday).

I decided I would do "low jacks." It's a low impact jumping jack - you always have one foot on the floor, and you alternate sides instead of doing both at once. I decided I would do 5 intervals of 2 minutes each Monday thru Friday, and use my weekend days as backups in case I couldn't do it one weekday. It should be a piece of cake to find 5 2-minute blocks during the day, right?! WRONG.

Yesterday wasn't too bad but it was definitely a challenge. Today was rough :-( At 8pm I had only gotten TWO intervals in! Over the next hour and a half I managed to get the rest in by squeezing them in while getting ready for bed. Neti pot, brush teeth, do a set. Feed birds, do a set. Etc.

I'm a bit discouraged now. I want to start working out SOOO badly! But if I can't find 5 2-minute segments, how in the world am I going to be able to find enough time to do a "real" workout?! The little bit of time I'm not holding Crankadoodle (Gabriel) lately, I'm washing dishes. Or something else absolutely necessary. In case you're wondering how I find so much time to blog, I do it either when I'm feeding/holding Gabriel, or laying down with the boys at night while they fall asleep. Yes, my blogs are typed on my phone. Using the numeric keypad (no keyboard) and T9.

So like I said in the title of this post, it's Desire - which I have plenty of - Vs Time and Opportunity - which I have next to zero of :-(

It's just so discouraging...

2 comments:

  1. Don't be discouraged! It IS hard to find time to exercise and even harder when you're a Mama. I try to get little bits in here and there. Like we park farther away at the grocery store. Or I try to go for walks with the kids -- I'll put Bubby in the Moby and Beanie in a stroller or let her walk. It's not ideal, but I figure the little things will add up a bit, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are good suggestions! Thx! You have to remember though... We're dealing with temps in the high 90s right now :-(

    ReplyDelete