Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Toughest Part

To me the hardest part of the flush isn't physical. It's mental. Don't get me wrong - it's physically tough! Depriving your body of protein and fat for days doesn't feel good! I can go without carbs a lot easier than I can go without protein! My body feels best when I'm eating close to 100 grams of protein a day. So going with 0 is not easy to do! And then all that apple juice... Sure, apple juice is yummy. In small quantities. 64 oz in one day? Not so yummy :p I don't eat a lot of sugar. So ingesting 240 grams of it in one day isn't something my body enjoys! I fill a 32 oz bottle, take a few sips at a time until it's gone, then refill it and start over. I usually keep some water or tea nearby to sip when the apple juice just gets to be too much.

But that isn't the worst of it. Not to me anyway. It's the mental that I struggle with. Knowing that all I can have is fruits and veggies. Wanting a bit of butter or olive oil on those veggies. Wanting PROTEIN. Fixing regular food for the rest of the family. Smelling their food. Knowing I can't have it today. Or tomorrow. Or the next day. Not being able to work a bit of a craving into what I eat.

That's a big part of why I'm doing 2 days instead of 3 this time. Day 2 is usually the toughest for me. Day 1 isn't too bad. Day 3 is my last day. I know whatever it is I want to eat, I can have it the next day. But Day 2... It's rough. And it's a big part of why I dread doing the flush so much. If it's a lot easier to get through a 2- day, I'll do it more often. Not that it's pleasant! But maybe it'll be more bearable...

No comments:

Post a Comment