I'm a part of an online healthy living forum. We had a challenge this week of posting our top 10 tips for weight loss/healthy living. Here are mine:
1. Eating plans are NOT one-size-fits all! Just because something worked for your friend doesn't mean it will work for you and vice versa. The important thing is to find what works for YOU.
2. Ditto for exercise plans ;)
3. Eat more protein! http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060905/protein-triggers-weight-loss-hormone
4. Satisfy your chocolate cravings with dark chocolate. The darker, the better! It takes much less to satisfy the craving, plus has antioxidants and mood elevators. My favorite is Ghirardelli 72% Intense Dark. I buy it in individually wrapped squares - less tempting than breaking off pieces of a whole bar.
5. Organic carrots and Romaine are much sweeter than their nonorganic counterparts. Yummy!
6. Make homemade 100% whole grain pancake mix. Just as easy as Bisquick and a lot healthier! (The recipe I use is http://cmlhealth.blogspot.com/2010/09/100-whole-grain-pancake-mix.html) Find grade B maple syrup to dip them in - more minerals, more healthy, more delicious :)
7. Brew green/mint tea for tummy troubles - equal number of bags of green tea and herbal mint (I use Bigelow Mint Medley and decaf green).
8. Stay away from artificial sweeteners! Truvia included. Google to find out why. Stevia is a healthy alternative (it's an herb) and is available as a liquid or powder.
9. If you're going have a cheat meal, eat it at lunch so it has more time to digest before bedtime.
10. Don't be afraid to experiment in the kitchen! Just always have an alternate plan if it doesn't turn out like you expect - eg leftovers or a healthy takeout option.