Monday, February 27, 2012

Today I Am Thankful For...

Gluten-free bread!

It's expensive. It's a treat. But I'm so glad it's an option!

When I made my last meal plan, I asked Ethan if there was anything in particular he wanted me to make. He could only think of one thing... Burgers. And a burger isn't a burger unless it's between two pieces of bread/bun.

Without GF bread, Ethan wouldn't have been able to eat the one thing he wanted :( I don't want them to feel deprived, to think about what they can't have. Ethan already has anxiety about eating some things lately. He tells me they will make his stomach hurt. I've had to reassure him that I won't give him anything that will make his stomach hurt. He remembers vividly what effect eating wheat had on him. It might be a good thing that our trial food ended up being pizza... He hasn't asked for it since that night! When I get brave I'll try GF pizza crust mixes etc. I would love to have the pizza option again! We were eating pizza on premade crusts about once a week. It was convenient and relatively easy and nutritious!

In the meantime, we have many naturally GF choices - oats (still using non-GF ones for now), rice, potatoes, millet, and quinoa (haven't tried quinoa yet). I just miss our gluten-y options sometimes...

5 comments:

  1. They sell pre-made GF pizza crust. Mom buys them in our regular grocery store or at our whole foods store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've looked but haven't seen them here... Nearest WF is over an hour away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oats aren't gluten free. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, oats, rye and malt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, oats themselves are GF, but they are processed on the same equipment as wheat so have gluten due to cross contamination... I can buy GF oats (they're processed in dedicated facilities) but they're a lot more expensive! We're not completely cutting out gluten until the boys are tested for celiac since they have to have some gluten in their system for the test. So I'm using up what regular oats/oat flour I have for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the GF ones I found in a local store... http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-rolled-oats.html

    ReplyDelete