As part of an online healthy eating group I belong to, our challenge for this week was to compile a top ten list of healthy tips. Here's my list:
1. Eat lots of protein! Make sure you have a good bit with every meal, and preferably with snacks as well. It keeps you full and helps with the munchies.
2. Eat "real" food. Keep chemicals, artificial ingredients, etc to a minimum!
3. Dark chocolate. Preportioned! More and more research has been coming out lately about the health benefits of dark chocolate. In moderation of course ;) Eat by itself or melt, mix in almonds, spread on a cookie sheet, and top with sea salt; cut into pieces when cool for a yummy snack! One individually wrapped square of Ghirardelli 72% chocolate (my favorite!) has 55 calories, 5 gr fat, <5 gr carbs and is extremely satisfying!
4. Read labels on EVERYTHING! Even raw meat often has additives. Look for "Enhanced with a x% solution" on the label. This means there are hidden ingredients, which usually include some form of MSG.
5. Cinnamon and mint fool the tongue into thinking there's sugar in whatever you add them to ;)
6. When you treat yourself to pizza, top it with grilled chicken, fresh tomatoes, and lots of other veggies.
7. Keep ingredients for quick and easy meals on hand. My favorite - Puree a jar of roasted red bell peppers, add to a jar of good quality Alfredo sauce. Mix with frozen grilled chicken. Serve with leftover pasta or multigrain French bread. Or keep healthy frozen options on hand.
8. Plan your meals! I keep a list of meals (sorted by breakfast, lunch, supper, veggies, carb sides, etc.) in a binder to make it easier to plan for the week.
9. If you have problems with indigestion, don't drink anything 1/2 hour before or 1 hour after you eat. Liquids dilute digestive juices and make it harder for your body to process the food.
10. Healthy soda substitute - sparkling water + frozen 100% juice concentrate (I'm not a big soda drinker but DH is and he drinks this now instead)
Did you find any of my tips helpful? Leave me a comment and let me know!