Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bird Fair Pasta Salad

We go to our local bird fair every year. I pack a lunch and we walk around for a while, stop to eat, then resume our fun :) In the past we've usually brought sandwiches. I tweaked a vegetarian recipe I found for pasta salad in one of my cookbooks to bring this year instead. It was a hit! I think it will be a permanent part of our bird fair tradition :)

BIRD FAIR PASTA SALAD

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 c. uncooked shell pasta
1 c. chopped tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes)
1 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. (4 oz) cheddar, chopped or shredded (I used 2% sharp)
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1 c. chopped cucumber
Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil
6 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dill weed
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook chicken in OO until done. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.

Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Drain and rinse in cold water.

When chicken and pasta are cool, mix in a large bowl with veggies and cheese.

Whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

Refrigerate a few hours or overnight for best flavor.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment