Sunday, August 18, 2019

Back to School...

I am two weeks into the school year. I have been in the heat quite a bit. Our building is outside access, so if I am not in a classroom, I am in 100+ degree heat indices. We have had NWS-issued heat advisories a few days. Most of the classrooms are fairly warm also. The teacher's lounge (which is my only option other than outside for breaks and lunch, and has the copy machines which I've been using frequently) is having AC issues and is staying 78-80 degrees all day. I have been on my feet a lot, both in classes and in the halls. I have been doing a good bit of walking while running errands. As everyone settles into the school year, I expect I won't be moving around so much. But I don't know when that'll ease up. I wish I had a pedometer to see how many miles I've been walking each day! All teachers and support staff had dismissal duty, which put me in the heat, and on my feet, even more.

The good:
My blood sugar seems to be staying stable at the lower carb levels, despite being on the go all day.
I've been good about reaching for non-carby snacks at work when I need a little something. Those 1-oz bags of almonds I prepped have come in handy!

The bad:
I have been swelling as a result of being in the heat so much.
The tendonitis in my Achilles is back.
I have gained weight again (could be retaining some fluid for various reasons, but I don't think that's all).
I am physically EXHAUSTED when I get home.

Here's what my eating looks like during the weekdays:
First thing in the morning - coffee with 1 tsp. demarara + heavy cream
Breakfast - low carb protein shake (protein powder + almond milk + coconut milk + heavy cream)
Lunch - leftovers, salad w/tuna and crackers, etc (about 20 g carbs)
Snack at school - string cheese or 1 oz roasted almonds
After school snack (if needed) - a few dark chocolate almonds, granola bar spread w/peanut butter, etc
Supper - meat or salmon (about 4 oz) cooked in olive oil + frozen veggies (8 oz) w/butter or salad
A couple of days, supper was different. One night we treated ourselves to pizza (I found a nearby pizza restaurant that has GF pizza!).
Most days I eat a square of dark chocolate at some point during the day.

I haven't been eating my usual 1 oz PB + 1 oz bittersweet chocolate chips because the store we usually shop at stopped carrying the chocolate chips for a while. I just got some more last night. I was curious if I would lose a few pounds not eating it at night or stay the same, but I certainly did not expect to gain! I am not saying that's the reason I gained, but it's interesting I didn't lose any either...

I was hoping to start a housecleaning routine + working out when the school year started, but I have been so worn out when I get home that it's all I can do to stay awake. Some days I have been too exhausted to cook supper. I'm getting a good amount of sleep. It's not always straight through the night, but if I wake up, I get back to sleep easily.

I am eating when I'm hungry, but part of me worries if I'm eating enough. 

One big positive... After 12 years, I am finally getting new eyeglasses! My current ones are so scratched up, and I'm having trouble driving at night with them. I'm back to making the 4.5+-hour round trip drive to get my boys every other week by myself (half of it after dark), so we took some of the little bit of savings we have left and used it. Thankfully I have vision insurance! Without it, my glasses would've cost around $700 to get what I need, which we could not afford. They should be in before I make the next drive.

I'm interested to see how the next month goes as I get back into the routine of working again, and things at work settle in to a fairly normal schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment