Friday, July 20, 2018

Gluten Reactions Suck - Stage 2?

My last post was Thursday of last week. The symptoms were easing. They say it takes about 30 days for gluten to really clear your system. I think this week is evidence that it's still wreaking havoc in my body...

Sunday my stomach felt a bit off. I didn't eat anything unusual. Yogurt and coffee for breakfast. Roast, beef broth "gravy" over 1/2 cup of brown rice, and Brussels sprouts for lunch.We had to bring the boys back to their dad's, so I had my usual extra cup of coffee before we left. I also took a dose of Pepto in case I had stomach issues brewing, which would be a big problem on a car trip!

I ate a string cheese on the road. When we got home, we ate some leftover chicken and coleslaw. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Shortly after, my stomach started hurting. It got worse. The pain would come in waves. I laid down and pressed on my gallbladder to see if it was causing me problems. It wasn't any more sore than the rest of my stomach. The most tender parts were in the lower middle area. I could feel stomach acid backing up into my throat.

I finally got to sleep about 2:30am. I woke up an hour later in worse pain. I got up and sat in the bathroom. The pain kept getting worse. I was beginning to think I needed to wake up my husband and have him bring me to the ER. It was that bad! (says the woman who's suffered at home through numerous gallbladder attacks and stuck gallstones) I finally vomited the undigested contents of my stomach. TMI Food that I had eaten 14-15 hours before looked freshly chewed, despite acid burning my throat as it came back up.

The pain eased after my stomach emptied. Monday I braved some chicken broth and Jello. My stomach still didn't feel good, but it didn't rebel. Tuesday I had a small bit of coffee (to avoid a caffeine withdrawal headache) and a little more food.

Today is Friday and my stomach still doesn't feel back to normal. I'm taking it fairly easy. Yesterday I had a second cup of coffee in the afternoon. It was also the first day I've eaten veggies (a small bowl of coleslaw).

I'm wondering if it's a delayed digestive reaction to the gluten. Especially since my stomach was okay last week. Everyone ate the same thing as me with no problems. I was so sick. And scared :(

Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment